Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Birds in the Parking Lot

I walked to the store this morning and there were hundreds of birds in the parking lot. I had a bit of an A-HA moment at that sight.

No matter how much of the World is paved, no matter how many concrete cities are built, Nature will never be subjugated, never outdone. Humans beings are dependent on Nature not the other way around.

I have come to the conclusion that Wetern society's lost sight of nature and our natural environment. The comfort of modern life has created a softness, a blindness within the culture I was raised in. Most Westerners run from a climate controlled home, to a climate controlled car, to a climate controlled building. They don't come into contact with the natural world anymore, and in a lot of cases, forget it exists. There's a wisdom, an intuitive understanding of an individual's surroundings that gets lost in the shuffle most of the time.

I can understand the reasons the Earth was worshipped historically. The beauty, the raw power, the completely dependent relationship all beings have with this "thing", this it that is everywhere and ultimately inescapable. I feel this thing called nature, is the closest I will ever get to "God", or a "spiritual experience." It's all I have, and that is enough for me personally.

1 comment:

  1. I have those moments all the time. That's why I spend as much time outside instead of my computer screen. Eventually time just gets away from you and you wonder where has the day gone? I think these distractions from life are made to do that you. I went camping for my vacation, yea do live in Maine, I can basically camp out in my yard. But something about being away from civilization and making your own fire that made it really fun.

    ReplyDelete