Sunday, August 28, 2011

Interwebz Irritation.......

I am writing this because I see a little "trend" that pops up on these various networking sites pop up again that really, really pisses me off. It's the "Can't we all just get along" trend.

It is well known that I hang out at SIN. It's a site that uses stratification over typical "hierarchy style" models used at other sites. I LIKE that. I always have. When the shit hits the fan to hard or I for some reason can't handle the conflict there, I will take a break (rather than "spinning out" publically or deleting my account (again) ). I don't try to change the place. I don't make blogs or posts saying everyone should "play nice". Why? I know it will never happen.

The conflict at these sites is there for a reason. It can be used to your own advantage. If you post something and it gets ripped to shreds it probably sucks. I had one such blog myself and a slight change (after a HUGE back and forth) made it one of my best. Mr. Dread talks about this use of the conflict in his blogs The Fire and Application. I feel these "Assassins" provide a service to ALL users. Even if you disagree with the assessment of your work, at least you recieved an alternate opinion. To say we should all "respect each others extra special super serial individuality", would make this way to refine yourself, to test yourself, no longer available.

All "umbrella groups", will endlessly debate the ins and outs of what they subscribe to. There's a reason for this. To define what is the "core" and what is "dogma". That's what happens at sites like SIN as well. One group in this odd Satanic subculture, won't agree with another. The LaVeyans will always sneer at the ONA. The ONA will always feel it's way is better due to the "doing" aspect. The Postmodern Satanists will feel their stuff is superior. The "Self Styled" will proclaim everyone else sheep. The Theists will..... well.... LOL (Just one intelligent Theist would make me happy. Just to interact with one!). Why? The same reason Christians infight. The same reasons Muslims beef with each other. Each "sect" will have an absoluteness attached to their belief system. That's human nature.

Now to use an analogy, If I was a Baptist would I care that a Catholic felt I was flawed in my perspective? No, I would feel my denomination was ABSOLUTELY right. Would me and a Catholic have a few beliefs in common? Yeah, that would be "core Christianity" for lack of a better term.

So, these endless back and forths do serve a purpose beyond testing of ideas. It REFINES the "core" of Satanism. Makes it better defined. All of these sites are like constantly evolving, TSB's. If I participate I get to help write a chapter, help define that core, make the picture a little clearer than it was before. Can the "infighting" be childish, cruel, or seem unnecessary at times? Yeah, but it is needed, it is necessary to get Satanism to EVOLVE, to move forward in some sense.

Satanism needs to in a very base, core way demonstrate the raw, visceral, bloody way that is LIFE itself. It needs to reflect REALITY. If you don't like the conflict, DON'T PARTICIPATE. Turn off your computer and *gasps* walk away. These sites don't need to change, grow softer in order to save an individual's feelings. They WORK and WORK well for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment