Monday, January 2, 2012

Hunting

Now the truth. As much as I love to shoot shit, I hate hunting. I hate getting up before the sun does. I hate the cold. I hate wearing deer piss as perfume. I hate wearing camo or orange anything. I hate cleaning any game whatsoever. It just sucks, on levels that few things that are a "hobby" or an "interest " do.

So why do it? If I hate it, why do it? Hunting is a BASIC survival skill. If you take away all the grocery stores, all the societal comforts we all enjoy, how are you going to eat? I'll tell you how, you are going to kill, clean and eat something.

Knowing how to survive on a most basic level is not something to discuss, debate or read about. It's a set of skills you go and do, Idealogy be damned. The more you do it, the better you get at it. Simple shit. The need to kill other things in order to live is a fundamental of reality. To know how to do that puts you in touch with that fundamental of reality.

My question when it comes to things like hunting is why is it being bred out of our culture? How has it become something that isn't common, normal, or in all circles societally acceptable? How does a fundamental need become something bought and sold?

I find things like this are the "why" with the system, it's how it keeps control of the Individual. That dependency most Westerners have for their most basic of needs. A dependency that is now common and universal and constantly perpetuated through this Consumerism oriented culture.

I think that dependency is one of the biggest psychological chains to overcome, rather in regards to Self Defense or Food. Learning how to handle those basic needs leads one to further psychological freedom. At least it does for me.

There is nothing like psychologically knowing you killed what you ate. There is nothing like knowing you can provide food for your family. That knowledge is personally empowering on a level that makes wearing deer piss acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment