Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stripper Mentality?

I read this little gem of a phrase on another blog and it got me thinking about my time (currently, back to doing it) as a Stripper, and how false this idea, this phrase is. Not all Strippers are doing it because Daddy didn't hug them enough, or some other lame ass Hallmark movie stereotype. They are not dancing prostitutes. Most are doing it TO MAKE MONEY. Not all Strippers have low self esteem, nor does stripping for a living lower self esteem. Stripping also has almost nothing to do with dancing. The OPPOSITE of most of these stereotypes is the case. This song reflects the stereotype (and it should POLE STAR Dancing)..........













When I started I stripping I was 22 and shit terrified. I remember my tryout and that club so well. You want to talk about the difference between "thinking" and "doing". It was a perfect example. I went in, and they gave me a spot. Now, in order to get a job at a club you have to do a routine, on their main stage. Most club owners are gauging the crowds reaction to the performance, is why. So, I get up on stage and complete panic hit me. Didn't in my living room. I was a superstar there. On stage and in five inch heels, I was a relatively uncoordinated nightmare. I was completely naked by the end of the first song. I took all of my clothes off as quickly as possible. Danced the entire second song, naked. When I was done. I looked at the stage and I had made like ten bucks. I got the job.

Now, there was a woman that worked there, that is one of the single most affecting influences in my life. Her name was Savannah. She was ten years older than me and the last of a dying breed. An entertainer, not just a titty shaker. She said, "I like you. I'm taking you under my wing." That was it, I was hers. She taught me the following laws and they are important in life in general.

1. The Law of Commodity. In the case of stripping, that's your body. That means if you are stripping, you don't let a single part of your physical body go neglected. Vanity is not only your friend, it is essential. You should have your hair, nails, skin, etc. done at all times. Shave daily. Not to much perfume, men hate that. The product has to be good, before you can sell it.

2. The Law of Art. When you are on stage, you are selling the commodity. Any woman can shake their ass. One way to be a cut above, is to make it art. The only props you have are a pole, your clothing, and the music. You must make them match. Every set has to be planned out in it's entirety. That means coming in early, staying late, etc. but is worth it. An example, is my "Black Set." She designed it and it is still a hit. The songs are "Back in Black" and a cover a friend of mine did of "Paint it Black". All clothing has to be Black. Black bra, black underwear, black stockings, black shoes, black costume. Now the routine I am not bothering to list here, but these things should be well thought out. Stripping is an ART, if you want to make money at it.

3. The Law of the Geisha. The concept was simple and complicated. All throughout history, the concept of paid for female companionship has existed. It was holy in a lot of cultures. Savannah loved the Geisha especially. You have to be well read, on lots of subject matter. Everything from current events, to the stock market, to cars. Why? Once you get off stage, you need to continue to sell that commodity. At that point it's your mind. Men want to talk at clubs and they want to talk about themselves. So, knowing the basics on any subject is good. You have to make eye contact, smile, and make them think that you are genuinely interested. This is also the reason I play Bass. Geishas played instruments and Savannah said, it makes you more fascinating to play an instrument. Being vapid at a strip club doesn't earn you money. The women that did the best were the most intelligent and funniest most of the time.

4. The Law of Withholding. Also, known as No ass without cash. She described it as a symbiotic relationship and you DO NOT give them a show (besides mental), with out money changing hands. So, if you are at a table with a guy and he wants you to sit in his lap, you ask for a tip. He wants a little show, he needs to buy a table dance, etc, etc, etc. I bring this up because, it's important to remember. All relationships should be give and take.

5. The Big Fish. This is a man with money. There are two kinds of strip club patrons. Minnows and Big Fish. Minnows, may buy one dance if your lucky and throw you a few dollars. Now a Big Fish is a different story. Play your cards right, you could make a few hundred dollars in a night. They are VIP's and are treated as such. Now they are typically Business men, or the occasional "music star" where I live, but the same rules apply. You dump all other customers for the night, mark them as yours and plant your ass firmly at their table. You have to implement the other rules to succeed with them. My favorite "Big Fish", I ever dealt with was Kid Rock. He's just fucking cool and I has more fun the night he came to the club I worked in, than any other night. Also, made the most money.

I gained self confidence stripping. It eliminated the "Oh My God, a physical flaw", mentality. I realized I was beautiful, and that all women are to some man. I learned how to communicate with people, what works and what doesn't. My basic social skills improved dramatically. I didn't learn to use men, but I began to love them more. Anyone from the 18 year old who has a birthday, to the 50 year old businessman. Not only did they want to see me naked, but most men love women, simply because they are women.

Dump the stereotype. Strippers aren't drug addled, low self esteem ridden, psychic vampires (not that they don't exist, but they are the exception, not the rule). They are the last vestiges of a dying art, that celebrates femininity at it's height and reflects the power of a well rounded woman, who has nurtured all aspects of herself. That's a "stripper mentality."

No comments:

Post a Comment