Saturday, July 9, 2011

Zero Tolerance Policy and an Example of a Broken System

got a real World example of what is wrong and why the system needs to be fought against yesterday. I was standing on my porch and I was shooting off bottle rockets. The kids are laughing, it's a golden moment. I am breathing in my emotional surge of happy, when I see a police officer standing in front of me. I say, "yes?" He says, "It is a violation of a city ordinance to shoot off fireworks in the city limits." I say, "Really?" I genuinely didn't KNOW that. He says, "Yeah I'm giving you a warning." Tells me where the local display is, etc. he leaves.

My husband says, "Nanny state much?", when I tell him about it. We're laughing when we see the cop has come back again. The cop says, "My boss just informed me there is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on shooting off fireworks in the city limits. I have to issue a citation. Can I see your ID?" I say, "I'll go get it." My husband, "No just use mine." The officer says, "No, I have to see her ID, she was the one who was caught in the act of violating a city ordinance."

I go get my ID and hand it to the cop. He's filling out the form and I'm trying not to laugh. My husband is playing a game I taught him called How far can you go?. What that means is when you are in front of an Authority figure, you talk shit under your breath to see how far you can go, before getting warned. My favorite was, "Of course it's an $80 fine. We've gotta get that new library built somehow." The cop leaves and I have my court date, and citation in hand. I go inside because I'm pissed off.

This IS the problem nobody wants to face. Don't cops have better things to do than bust women in the suburbs firing off fireworks? Zero tolerance policy? What the fuck? I'm thinking about all of this the rest of the night. Put the kids to bed and the sun goes down. I'm sitting on the porch and I start to hear it. Little pops everywhere. All over the neighborhood. I guess nobody else knows it's a "violation of a city ordinance. This solidifies the "everyone's a criminal idea" I have had for a while.

I shot my fireworks off as well. Even though the theoretical risk was another fine. Even though a "zero tolerance policy" was in place. I had to fight back before that idea burrowed into my brain. That I must submit to the City. Fuck that shit. It would have been impossible for the cops to bust everybody that was doing it. The actual chances of me being caught again were low (even though they were going to watch me according to the cop from earlier). An incident from a few years ago (an idiot blew their hand off), is not going to stop me from doing what I want.

The risk attached to this retarded ass, subversion I committed was worth it. On a day that symbolically represents independence, freedom, and a handful of men that fought back and defeated a Government, I am getting smacked in the face with the reality of the system and what was really being celebrated. The death of independence in favor of protection. A system that feeds on humanity, teaches them to eschew all personal responsibility, and one I personally detest.

Doing something to help defeat what the system represents is necessary. That comes in many different forms. My personal affiliation will always be with the people that see the same problems, and are actively engaging in ways to stop it. Anything less, would show a lack of integrity and honor for me personally. It's not about conforming or "drinking the koolaid", it's about who I am and what I want to see come next. I want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment