Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Color Red (an odd analogy). ;)

The idea of Subjective Reality always reminds me of a teacher I used to have. She held up an apple one day in class and said, "What color is this apple?" Answer: "Red." She said, "Did you know that no two people see color the same way?. Each person interprets the color red slightly differently upon sight. The eyes of each individual see in a unique way. Different cultures use different words to say red. Is the apple red? Yes, but what red means to you is not what it means to me. However the apple is definitively red, it's not green." That always stuck out for me. My red is not anybody else's, but it is still red.

I used to think what does red look like to other people? How different was it as a color to my mom, or my sister? Is there a way I can see the way they see red? Could I ask them about it and get an answer that would explain what red is to them (answer no, btw). How do I know my red is even really red? Maybe it's everybody else's purple. This idea obsessed me for a long time. How do I know my interpretation of ANYTHING is right? Maybe all of my versions of colors are wrong. Is everything like this? My eyes see differently than everybody else's. So, everything is different for me than it is for somebody else, etc, etc, etc.

However it's still red, no matter who is interpreting the color through their eyes, meaning if I ask you what color is that? The answer should be red. Each individual is seeing the same thing, it's just colored by individual interpretation. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment